Dental Implants in Modesto
Are you looking for dental implants in Modesto, CA? Look no further than Dr. Openshaw! In our office, we have over 25 years of experience with cosmetic dentistry and dental implants.
Dental implants are prosthetic replacements for missing or severely damaged teeth. This treatment option delivers an unprecedented level of patient satisfaction. Tooth implants provide a natural-looking appearance and long-lasting function. They are the gold standard for smile makeovers and dental restoration. If you have lost one or more teeth to fractures, gum disease or tooth decay, this procedure could finally give you back your beautiful smile.
Why Choose Dental Implants?
If you are considering having dental implants done in Modesto, CA, here are some reasons why you should:
Some implants can be done on the same day as removing the damaged tooth. Placing the implant and crown during the same appointment.
- Implants can be used to fully restore teeth that are too badly damaged or decayed for repair with an amalgam filling, a porcelain inlay/onlay or a crown.
- A dental implant restores normal chewing and biting ability. Most patients can resume a normal, healthy diet that includes a wide variety of foods after treatment is complete.
- Tooth implants offer a conservative solution compared to a traditional bridge. Only the tooth that is being replaced is affected. The teeth on either side of the missing tooth are not ground down and capped.
- Patients can opt to have one or several teeth replaced with implants. Dental implants can also support dentures. These implant-supported dentures tend to be more stable and comfortable than those held in place with adhesive.
- Replacing a missing tooth with an implant helps prevent other teeth from shifting out of alignment over time. Keeping teeth straight and even promotes better oral care. It makes proper brushing and flossing easier, which reduces the risk of cavities and gum disease.
- Since the prosthetic tooth is load-bearing (you can bite and chew with it), an implant may also help limit further jaw bone loss in the treated area.
- Long term success rates with implants range from 90-95%. Some patients enjoy their dental implants for life with no need for replacement or repair.
Who is a Candidate for Dental Implants?
Dental implants might be the ideal fit for you if you need smile reconstruction in Modesto, CA. Adults and older children who have their permanent teeth can be treated with implants. There is no upper age limit for this treatment. The most important factor in success rates for implants is bone density. Patients who have very advanced periodontitis (gum disease) may not have enough bone left to hold an implant. They may need one or more bone grafting procedures before they can get tooth implants. Smokers have more complications during healing than non-smokers, so if you smoke, you need to stop before you undergo this dental treatment.
Dental Implants Procedure Overview
Tooth implants rely on osseointegration to create a stable connection between a titanium implant and the jawbone. During osseointegration, the bone grows into direct contact with the implant, holding it firmly in place. Here’s a brief overview of the treatment process provided by Dr. Openshaw:
- Consultation – This includes a full oral exam, medical history, x-rays and a CT scan. This information is used to determine if you are a good candidate for dental implants as well as what size and shape of implant to use.
- Preparation – If you have a tooth root in place, this is removed. The gum is opened slightly to expose the jawbone.
- Placement – A tiny hole is drilled in your jawbone and the titanium implant is screwed or fitted in place.
- Healing – This phase lasts 3-4 months. During this time, your jawbone heals around the implant.
- Abutment – A small metal post is attached to the implant and your gum is allowed to heal again (this recovery period is much shorter).
- Restoration – A custom fabricated porcelain crown that looks like your natural teeth is fitted to the abutment. And many times can be done at the same appointment the implant is placed.
Dental Implant Benefits
1. Eliminates the need to “cut down” the neighboring teeth to make a bridge.
2. Maintains the jawbone structure.
3. Feels and functions like natural teeth.
4. Does not rely on other teeth for support.
5. Replaces partial plates and may be used to secure loose dentures.
6. Cleaned and flossed like a natural tooth.
Single Tooth Implants
A single tooth implant procedure may be done if a tooth has been extracted or is missing. A titanium implant base is placed into the jawbone to resemble the tooth root. We allow a period of time to allow for the jawbone to heal over the implant base before fitting for a crown.
Multiple Tooth Implants
Multiple tooth implants may be placed if you need or desire to permanently replace an extracted or lost tooth. Titanium implant bases are placed into the jawbone to replace the job of the tooth roots. We allow a period of time to allow for the jawbone to heal over the bases before fitting for a crown. Next, abutments are screwed into the bases of the implants to allow crowns to be attached. Finally, custom fabricated crowns are placed over the abutments and will function like a real tooth.
The Bicon implant system is comprised of only two components, with a bacterially-sealed, 1.5″ locking taper connection. The two components are the implant, which is the portion that goes into the jawbone, and the abutment, which fits into the implant and provides a solid base for a permanent crown or removable denture.
Bicon’s design provides for a greater surface area than most other implant designs, thus enabling the use of shorter implants which often negates the need for a bone grafting procedure.
We use exclusively bicon implants for all implant procedures.
Dental Implant CT Guide
Implant Surgery Planning software allows us to take the information from I -CAT scan of a patient’s mouth and perform virtual surgery on the computer before taking a patient into the actual surgery. This system means you can now replace missing teeth with permanent dental implants – easily, quickly and comfortably. Only CT-Guided surgery gives you beautiful teeth-in-a-day.
When a tooth is lost both bone and gum tissue competes for the defect space. The gum tissue generates quicker than bone, thus assuming the space. With a membrane placement we can keep the gum tissue from the space, while the bone regenerates.
More Information about Dental Implants
This dental treatment generally has a higher up-front cost than traditional crowns and bridges. The restoration process also takes longer. However, the investment in time and money can more than pay for itself with a reduction in dental interventions over your lifetime. Just be sure to practice excellent dental hygiene so you don’t lose more teeth!
For more information about dental implants in Modesto, CA, please feel free to call our office or email us.